5 Basic Scoliosis Exercises To Reduce Pain
Scoliosis is a spinal deformity that changes the normal alignment and curvature of the spine. The condition can be mild to severe, and it can cause back pain, headaches, neck pain, and even cause organ dysfunction.
But don’t wait to get help. At Thrive Family Chiropractic, we can accurately diagnose scoliosis through our postural examination, spinal radiography, and physical examination. Then, our doctors will use advanced chiropractic procedures to help improve your posture and align the spinal. Visit our clinic in Rapid City, SD, for one-on-one consultation.
Let’s take a look at five basic scoliosis exercises to help you ease your pain in the meantime:
Planks top the list of the best scoliosis exercises to strengthen the core, improve balance and posture, and reduce scoliosis pain.
- Lie face down on a mat or other soft surface with your hands directly under your shoulders and palms flat on the floor.
- Lift your body off the ground by straightening your arms while squeezing your glutes and engaging your core muscles.
- Hold this position for as long as you can—30 seconds is excellent for a start.
- Repeat the steps above as long as you can.
2. Torso Rotation
Torso rotation helps scoliosis by strengthening the muscles that support the spine.
- Stand with feet hip-distance apart, and knees slightly bent
- Slowly rotate to the side that has less range of motion while keeping your arms relaxed at the sides
- Rotate back to the center
- Repeat this movement 10 times on each side.
3. Side-Lying Leg Raises
At Thrive Family Chiropractic, we recommend this exercise to strengthen the lumbar and thoracic spine.
- Lie on your side with your hips and knees bent at 90 degrees and your feet together.
- Raise your top leg toward the ceiling as far as possible without bending your knees.
- Hold for a count of five, then lower slowly.
- Repeat 15-20 times on each side.
4. Glute Bridges
Glute bridge exercise strengthens the gluteal muscles which helps stabilize the pelvis.
- Lie face-up on an exercise mat with your knees bent at a 45 degree angle.
- Push through both feet to lift your pelvis off of the ground
- Ensure you keep both knees straight and abdominals tight throughout the entire movement.
- Ensure that your pelvis stays in line with your spine during this exercise.
- Release back to the floor, and repeat 15-20 times.
5. Lateral Lunges
These scoliosis exercises strengthen the glutes, quads, and abductors while stretching the hamstrings to reduce scoliosis pain.
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, and toes directly ahead.
- Bend one knee while stepping laterally into a lunge position with the knee bent 90 degrees
- Your thigh should be parallel to the floor and the knee directly above the ankle.
- Push through the heel to return to the starting position with both feet together.
- Complete 10 reps on each side.
Scoliosis Examination and Therapy – Consult a Chiropractor in Rapid City, SD
At Thrive Family Chiropractic, we base our practice on practical and proven approaches to health care. Besides these five basic scoliosis exercises, we can help restore your health through our advanced chiropractic technique like Chiropractic Biophysics which aims to use specific scoliosis exercises, adjustments, and traction therapy. Book an appointment or visit us in Rapid City, SD, for physical examination and personalized treatment.